[TUHS] UUCP "bag" files

Lyndon Nerenberg lyndon at orthanc.ca
Fri May 11 13:58:18 AEST 2018

> On May 10, 2018, at 8:42 PM, Grant Taylor via TUHS <tuhs at minnie.tuhs.org> wrote:
>
> On 05/10/2018 05:38 PM, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
>> We always referred to them as "rnews batches," since that's what they were.
>
> Not if there's also email / commands / files transfers in the batch.  ;-)

UUCP would transfer many batch jobs in a single session, Each job was a single command.  So you would have a mix of 'uux remote!rmail' and 'uux remote!rnews' all stacked up in the job queue to be transferred and executed on the remote host.

'uucp' and 'uux' just created remote batch jobs in a queue directory.  When 'uucico' eventually fired off, it would send the command files over, along with any associated data files.

You could 'uucp' and 'uux' anything you liked, modulo restrictions placed upon you by the administrators of the local and remote hosts.

--lyndon