[TUHS] UUCP "bag" files

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Fri May 11 14:09:06 AEST 2018

On 05/10/2018 09:58 PM, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
> UUCP would transfer many batch jobs in a single session, Each job was
> a single command.  So you would have a mix of 'uux remote!rmail' and
> 'uux remote!rnews' all stacked up in the job queue to be transferred
> and executed on the remote host.

Agreed.

Those were all discrete jobs and associated files in the UUCP queue.

It's my understanding that bag files were an aggregation / collection of
what uucico (or something closely related) would typically write to the
modem connected to the remote system.  This output was redirected to a
single, monolithic file, called a bag.

At least that's my understanding.

This bag would then be transferred some means out of band.

The last time I did this, someone would periodically ftp the bag files
off of the server.  (I don't remember why he wanted bag files instead of
standard UUCP.)

I've heard of people using bag file(s) to put news (et al) onto a flash
drive / tape and sneaker net it across to other disconnected systems
where the process was done in reverse.

> 'uucp' and 'uux' just created remote batch jobs in a queue directory.
> When 'uucico' eventually fired off, it would send the command files over,
> along with any associated data files.

That's typical UUCP.  That's distinctly different than my understanding
of bag files.

> You could 'uucp' and 'uux' anything you liked, modulo restrictions placed
> upon you by the administrators of the local and remote hosts.

Yep.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die