[TUHS] YP / NIS / NIS+ / LDAP

Ben Greenfield ben at cogs.com
Tue Nov 6 07:43:59 AEST 2018

> On Nov 5, 2018, at 2:36 PM, Grant Taylor via TUHS <tuhs at minnie.tuhs.org> wrote:
>
> On 11/05/2018 12:24 AM, Mantas Mikulėnas wrote:
>> Let the client handle authentication via Kerberos
>
> I don't know enough about Kerberos (yet) to know if it would be possible for a login process to communicate with the KDC and get a TGT as part of logging in, without already being logged in.
>
> My ignorance is leaving me with a priming problem that seems like a catch 22.  You can't login without shadow information or TGT.  But traditional (simpler) kinit is run after being logged in.  So ... how do you detangle that?  The only thing that I can come up with is that the login process does the kinit functionality on the users behalf.

I found that I had to do all of this using SASL.

I remember it as SASL would handle the kerberization during boot up getting tickets for each LDAP entry that you wanted mapped to a service on that client.

I could be wrong but I think SASL seems to be way connect services on Linux with LDAP that are served kerberized.

Thanks,

Ben