[TUHS] YP / NIS / NIS+ / LDAP

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Tue Nov 6 14:58:58 AEST 2018

On 11/05/2018 02:43 PM, Ben Greenfield via TUHS wrote:
> I found that I had to do all of this using SASL.

At first read I was thinking "SASL?  Really?".  Then I remembered that
Simple Authentication and Security Layer is really just an abstraction
layer.  An abstraction layer that very easily could have (but I don't
know one way or the other) a back end to Kerberos.

> I remember it as SASL would handle the kerberization during boot up
> getting tickets for each LDAP entry that you wanted mapped to a service
> on that client.

Hum.

> I could be wrong but I think SASL seems to be way connect services on
> Linux with LDAP that are served kerberized.

I've always viewed SASL as a way for applications to outsource the
authentication / security so that the program code didn't need to worry
about it.  It also allowed SASL to manage supporting all the different
back end security methods.

I also think much the same about PAM.  -  In fact, I don't think I could
properly differentiate between PAM and SASL.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die