[TUHS] /crp

Paul Winalski paul.winalski at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 02:43:04 AEST 2018

On 11/6/18, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:

> Bad blocks?  I think I have an article in AUUGN where I proposed that bad
> blocks be assigned (somehow) to a pseudo-file as inode #0 (or -1?); that
> way, the "dump" utility would not see it, and neither would the FS tools
> (but a disk image would, of course).

That is how VMS handles bad blocks.  When the system detects them,
they are allocated to file BADBLK.SYS;1 in the volume's root
directory.  Of course, these days the disk hardware controller handles
bad blocks.  The VMS engineering group once got a bug report
complaining that when a privileged user issued the command "type
dba0:[000000]badblk.sys" there were scads and scads of bad block error
messages.

"Doctor, it hurts when I do this...."

-Paul W.