[TUHS] Public access multics

jcs lists at irreal.org
Sun Sep 2 09:44:12 AEST 2018

Noel Chiappa <jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu> writes:

> Per:
>
>   https://multicians.org/multics.htmlhttps://multicians.org/multics.html
>
> "Harry Reed and Charles Anthony reached a major milestone on the
> Multics
> simulator on Saturday 08 November, 2014. Their SIMH-based
> simulator booted
> Multics MR 12.5, came to operator command level, entered admin
> mode, created a
> small PL/I program, compiled and executed it, and shut down.
> Release 1.0 of
> the simulator is now available."

Hmmm. That's interesting. Back in the 70's I earned my living
working on H6000s (although not on Multics). I'm pretty sure that
no one would have bothered with a simulator if not for Multics so
that's another reason not to dismiss Multics as a failure:
someone, today, still cares enough to write a simulator just to
run it.