[TUHS] SunOS code?

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Wed Sep 5 10:10:41 AEST 2018

> On 2 Sep 2018, at 06:05, Kevin Bowling <kevin.bowling at kev009.com> wrote:
>
> The E10k was only a 64-core machine on a tight backplane compared to
> other large systems.  It didn't have any of the pressing needs that
> Sequent and SGI did with multi-drawer interconnects to drive
> excellence in NUMA.

When I started work at Cambridge in 2002 our central supercomputer was being replaced with a cluster of Sun Fire E15K machines with a fancy interconnect - it topped out at position 199 on the top500 list https://www.top500.org/list/2003/06/?page=2 with a 300 core configuration. It looks like they never managed to get the whole thing working as a single cluster since the other two thirds of the installation had positions 200 and 201! (The Nov. 2002 top500 list has it in 6 x 144 core shards.) Here’s a news item about it: https://www.cnet.com/news/sun-expands-supercomputer-effort/

> True.  There is also at least one unencumbered strategy such as epoch
> based reclamation which was known about around that time [2]
>
> [2] https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/techreports/UCAM-CL-TR-579.pdf

The big benchmarks in this lovely thesis were run on one of the E15K supercomputer boxes :-)

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot at dotat.at>  http://dotat.at