[TUHS] Mail etiquette (was: SunOS code?)

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Thu Sep 6 13:21:09 AEST 2018

On Thursday,  6 September 2018 at  9:40:30 +1000, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Sep 2018, Gilles Gravier wrote:
>
>> (Henri, you're in copy of this again, because first time I did a Reply
>> instead of Reply to list/all. Sorry.)
>
> One of my pet hates is people who use "Reply All" because either they are
> too lazy to edit the Reply (and they top-post, too), or the list is set up
> that way.

That's a matter of opinion.  Many people consider it good manners to
specifically mention people participating in a discussion.  For
example,
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/freebsd-questions/article.html#idp53204040
specifically states:

  Unless there is a good reason to do otherwise, reply to the sender
  and to FreeBSD-questions [the list].

> I really don't need my own personal copy, as well as a list copy.

That's what procmail is for.

> Oh, and people who are too lazy to trim their replies too, because
> they are encouraged to top-post.

Yes, that's in that URL too:

  Put your response in the correct place (after the text to which it
  replies). It is very difficult to read a thread of responses where
  each reply comes before the text to which it replies.

Also another thing that I still think very important:

  If the submitter did not abide by format conventions (lines too
  long, inappropriate subject line), please fix it. In the case of an
  incorrect subject line (such as “HELP!!??”), change the subject line
  to (say) “Re: Difficulties with sync PPP (was: HELP!!??)”. That way
  other people trying to follow the thread will have less difficulty
  following it.

That doesn't explicitly address the issue of change of topic within a
thread, but it should.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.