[TUHS] /home

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Sep 28 10:19:51 AEST 2018

On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 6:14 PM Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog at lemis.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, 27 September 2018 at 21:50:58 +0100, Steve Simon wrote:
> >
> > At college we had /h but that may be an interdata/edition7
> > thing. mine was /h/beng4/ssimon.
>
> This sounds like a workaround for short pathname limits, particularly
> with System V.  I had a file system mounted on /S for the same reason
> decades ago.

At Solboure, we had /h/admin /o/os /o/home /x/build /x/home /x/prod etc.
The reason for this was the SunOS automounter and bugs it had that required
each machine to have a different top level directory. Luckily we only had
like 4 servers... This was to prevent hanging /h mounts when the /x machine
would go away and someone would do an ls in that directory. That bug got
fixed in the 4.0 -> 4.1 transition, but we none-the-less kept the structure
because it was too painful to transition...

Warner