[TUHS] The origin of /home

Nemo cym224 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 06:00:29 AEST 2018

On 28/09/2018, Grant Taylor via TUHS <tuhs at minnie.tuhs.org> wrote:
> On 09/28/2018 10:02 AM, Nemo wrote:
>> This is a bit late but Solaris uses /export/home by default.
>
> I disagree.
>
> Or at least not as such.
>
> Many Solaris systems I've used have put homes in /export/home.  But they
> are /NOT/ supposed to be used /directly/ as the home directory.  The
> intention that they would be NFS exports and that said export would be
> auto mounted to /home.
>
> The /export/home is really the /export/ point, /not/ the location that
> is supposed to be used.

>From https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E26505_01/html/E29492/userconcept-36940.html#userconcept-6
:

A home directory can be located either on the user's local system or
on a remote file server. In either case, by convention the home
directory should be created as /export/home/username. For a large
site, you should store home directories on a server. Use a separate
file system for each /export/homen directory to facilitate backing up
and restoring home directories. For example, /export/home1,
/export/home2.

Regardless of where their home directory is located, users usually
access their home directories through a mount point named
/home/username. When AutoFS is used to mount home directories, you are
not permitted to create any directories under the /home mount point on
any system. The system recognizes the special status of /home when
AutoFS is active.