[TUHS] The origin of /home

Arthur Krewat krewat at kilonet.net
Sat Sep 29 06:30:43 AEST 2018

On 9/28/2018 3:47 PM, Grant Taylor via TUHS wrote:
> On 09/28/2018 11:28 AM, Arthur Krewat wrote:
>> Solaris 10 u10:
>> Solaris 11.3:
>
> Were those fresh installs to test things for this discussion?
>
> Or were they existing installs that you checked?
>
> If they were fresh installs, were they larger kitchen sink type
> installs?  Or minimal installs?

One is my home Solaris server 11.3, the other is a customer's Solaris 10
install from way back when.

Nothing changes behavior like that from version-to-version of Solaris.
Solaris 11 as a whole was a big jump in terms of GNU user-land stuff,
etc, so that behavior was changed, again, probably because as of 11, you
had to create a regular user during the install.

I just checked Solaris 7 and 8 (x86), which are both "vanilla" installs
I did to a VMware guest. On both, useradd used /home - an 11.2 guest
used /export/home