[TUHS] If not Linux, then what?

Adam Thornton athornton at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 15:54:31 AEST 2019

> On Aug 26, 2019, at 7:39 PM, Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 10:16:58PM -0400, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
>> But I got to meet at least
>> one very toxic personality in person which immediately turned me away
>> from that offer --- and I got my start on BSD 4.3 with Project Athena.
>> (For all that people used to like to complain about Linus's e-mail
>> persona, I *much* preferred to work with Linus than with some of the
>> personalities in the *BSD/HURD communities.)
>>

> I agree with Ted and I'm seeing it to this day, I hang with some BSD
> folks and they spend way too much time complaining about people.

Yeah, this.  I don’t know about these days, but….

End of the 90s, early 2000s, I was deeply involved in the Linux port to System/390 and then zSeries.  Sometime, probably ’99, maybe ’00, I went to a Linux conference in Atlanta; I talked a little about Linux on S/390 and the things we were looking for help with.

And I went to the NetBSD booth.  I mean, even then, NetBSD’s thing was that it ran on all sorts of architectures.  So I introduced myself, to say, “hey, if you guys want a development environment to hammer out a S/390 port, I can probably hook you up.”  What I got was a btiter rant about Linux’s “so-called portability” and I was basically told to FOAD.

That was…quite a surprise, having been working in a mostly-supportive community, albeit one in which the manufacturer was pretty dubious about the port.

Adam