[TUHS] If not Linux, then what?

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Wed Aug 28 23:57:24 AEST 2019

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 2:46 AM Peter Jeremy <peter at rulingia.com> wrote:

> There was ISODE (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_Development_Environment
> ).
> I recall experimenting with it but didn't actually use it in anger.

Ditto.

> I know that DEC/Compaq/HP Tru64 Unix (nee OSF/1) came with a OSI stack -
> we had customers who wanted/used FTAM and I was surprised to find it
> came with the OS.

Tru64 talked to DECnet Phase X (I don't remember which one, maybe 4 or 5),
which had become an ISO/OSI stack by that point for political reasons
inside of Digital (the OSI vs TCP war reminded me of the Pascal vs C and
VMS vs UNIX wars - all very silly in retrospect, but I guess it was really
about who got which $s for development).

Clem