[TUHS] If not Linux, then what?

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Thu Aug 29 20:55:11 AEST 2019

Lawrence Stewart <stewart at serissa.com> wrote:

> At the time, SRC was building multiprocessor research workstations with
> VAX chips (the Firefly, I did some of the hardware) and WRL was building
> an ECL RISC machine (the Titan).

I've found a Titan System Manual from 1988
https://www.hpl.hp.com/techreports/Compaq-DEC/WRL-86-1.pdf

It's a curious machine with a number of unusual instruction set features -
an 8 bit CPU process ID hooked into the virtual memory system, register
banks selected using the processor status register - otherwise RISC
flavoured. Did it have any successors?

Tony.
The Minch: Southwest 5 to 7, occasionally gale 8 for a time, decreasing 2 or 3
and becoming cyclonic later. Moderate or rough. Rain or showers. Moderate or
good, occasionally poor.