[TUHS] If not Linux, then what?

Nemo Nusquam cym224 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 30 04:40:07 AEST 2019

On 08/28/19 18:27, William Pechter wrote (in part):
> On 8/28/2019 4:27 PM, Adam Thornton wrote:
>> I was an ardent OS/2 supporter for a long time.  Sure, IBM's anemic
>> marketing, and their close-to-outright-hostility to 3rd-party
>> developers didn't help.  But what killed it, really, was how damn
>> good its 16-bit support was.  It *was* a better DOS than DOS and a
>> better Windows than 3.11fW.  So no one wrote to the relatively tiny
>> market of 32-bit OS/2.
>>
> OS/2 was slick and if they could've kept the W\indows 3.x
> compatibility (the Win32S was a sliding target that Microsoft kept
> changing.  There was a pretty decent Unix work-alike ported to the top
> of OS/2 that made most of the public domain and open source (the term
> didn't exist yet) stuff available.
>
> I could telnet into the box and run a pretty slick Unix work-alike shell.
Indeed -- forgive my nostalgia here... We were developing a DOS-based
PC-Card (often incorrectly called a PCMCIA card).  With OS/2, you opened
up a DOS box. If the driver crashed, you just opened up another and went
on.  Under Windoze, the whole box crashed (and sometimes took the
file-system with it).  We used a combination of Eberhard Mattes' emx,
the MKS toolkit, and case-sensitive file-systems to give us a reasonable
approximation.

N.