[TUHS] Origins of PPP

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Fri Dec 6 05:05:46 AEST 2019

    > From: Paul Ruizendaal

    > I'm looking for the origins of SLIP and PPP on Unix. Both seem to have
    > been developed long before their RFC's appeared.

You're dealing with an epoch when the IETF motto - "rough consensus and
running code" - really meant something. Formal RFC's way lagged protocol
development; they're the last step in the process, pretty much.

If you want to study the history, you'd need to look at Internet Drafts (if
they're still online). Failing that, look at the IETF Proceedings; I think
all the ones from this period have been scanned in. They won't have the
detail that the I-D's would have, but they should give the rough outlines
of the history.

	Noel