[TUHS] Happy birthday, Ken Thompson!

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Mon Feb 4 08:07:52 AEST 2019

On Mon, 4 Feb 2019, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

> Without Unix, Microsoft would not have created Microsoft "Windows".

I'd like to see some evidence for that; without Unix, what would we be
running now?  I doubt whether it would've been Linux, there being no
inspiration for it...

My vague (and rough) recollection is CP/M -> DOS -> Windows.

> Even it has roots in Unix.

Only inasmuch as it has directories, users, and permissions (which any
semi-decent OS would have anyway)...  Admittedly I have never compromised
my integrity by using/programming it, so I am willing to be corrected.

And yes, I know about POSIX compatibility, but so is Linux, and it's
different enough from Unix to be damned annoying.

-- Dave