[TUHS] building world using sh run in /usr/source in v6

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 10:29:11 AEST 2019

The setting up document hints at how to build world so to speak in v6.
However, when I log in as bin (most files are owned by bin) and:

chdir /usr/source

sh run

I get a number of failed items along these lines:

cp a.out /etc/cron
Can't create new file.

cp a.out /etc/init
Can't create new file.

A little digging around points to the problem - some files are owned by
daemon, others by root:

-rwsrwsr--  1 daemon   3246 Oct 10 12:54 cron
-rwxrwxr--  1 root     2054 May 13 23:50 init

My question is this, is the system recompiled en-masse using the run
script in /usr/source or not? It certainly appears to be the method, as
it contains a bunch of chdir somedir; time sh run lines including the
/usr/sys/run file... If it's not, what was the method?

I gather I can force it by logging in as root and running those sections
of the run script pertaining to files owned by root, and the same for
daemon, but that seems inefficient and begs the question why didn't they
have run scripts for root and daemon that were separate from the ones
for bin.

Thanks,

Will

--
GPG Fingerprint: 68F4 B3BD 1730 555A 4462  7D45 3EAA 5B6D A982 BAAF