[TUHS] Isaacson v Unix [really RMS bashing]

Toby Thain toby at telegraphics.com.au
Mon Jan 7 15:05:27 AEST 2019

On 2019-01-06 9:59 PM, A. P. Garcia wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 6, 2019, 9:39 PM Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com
> <mailto:imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:
>

>     On Sun, Jan 6, 2019, 7:06 PM Steve Nickolas <usotsuki at buric.co
>     <mailto:usotsuki at buric.co> wrote:
>
>         On Sun, 6 Jan 2019, A. P. Garcia wrote:
>
>         If not for GNU, Unix would still have been cloned.  Net/2
>         happened in
>         parallel, did it not?
>

>     Berkeley actively rewrote most of unix yes. Net/1 was released about
>     the same time GNU was getting started. Net/2 and later 4.4 BSD
>     continued this trend, where 4.4 was finally a complete system.
>     BSD386 only lagged Linux by about a year and had much stronger
>     networking support, but supported fewer obscure devices than linux...
>
>     Warner
>
>     Ps I know this glosses over a lot, and isn't intended to be pedantic
>     as to who got where first. Only they were about the same time... and
>     I'm especially glossing over the AT&T suits, etc.
>

> It's really hard to say. How would you compile it? Clang didn't come
> along until 2007. The Amsterdam Compiler Kit, perhaps?

If you're asking about non-gcc ANSI C compilers? There were dozens;
sometimes several per platform. One random example was lcc* (1994). And
of course the vendor compilers at which gcc specifically took aim.

There were also quite a number of non-GNU C++ compilers.

--Toby

* - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LCC_(compiler)