[TUHS] Isaacson v Unix [really RMS bashing]

Andy Kosela akosela at andykosela.com
Mon Jan 7 15:36:31 AEST 2019

On Sun, Jan 6, 2019 at 9:01 PM A. P. Garcia <a.phillip.garcia at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 6, 2019, 9:39 PM Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com wrote:
>>

>> On Sun, Jan 6, 2019, 7:06 PM Steve Nickolas <usotsuki at buric.co wrote:
>>>
>>> On Sun, 6 Jan 2019, A. P. Garcia wrote:
>>>
>>> If not for GNU, Unix would still have been cloned.  Net/2 happened in
>>> parallel, did it not?
>>

>> Berkeley actively rewrote most of unix yes. Net/1 was released about the same time GNU was getting started. Net/2 and later 4.4 BSD continued this trend, where 4.4 was finally a complete system. BSD386 only lagged Linux by about a year and had much stronger networking support, but supported fewer obscure devices than linux...
>>
>> Warner
>>
>> Ps I know this glosses over a lot, and isn't intended to be pedantic as to who got where first. Only they were about the same time... and I'm especially glossing over the AT&T suits, etc.
>

> It's really hard to say. How would you compile it? Clang didn't come along until 2007. The Amsterdam Compiler Kit, perhaps?

I find it ironic that BSD people are so quick to bash RMS, yet they
have been using his tools (gcc and various utils) for years...  By
reading this thread it appears there are more people that have
personal issues with RMS than technical ones.  I find usually there
are two sides to each story though.

One side is eloquently presented in 2001 movie "Revolution OS"[1]
starring RMS amongst others.

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vW62KqKJ5A

--Andy

--Andy