[TUHS] Old 386 Unix Versions, was: Re: PCC for the i386

Ben Greenfield ben at cogs.com
Wed Jul 17 22:32:05 AEST 2019

> On Jul 17, 2019, at 5:28 AM, Arrigo Triulzi <arrigo at alchemistowl.org> wrote:
>
> On 17 Jul 2019, at 10:10, arnold at skeeve.com <mailto:arnold at skeeve.com> wrote:
>>
>> emanuel stiebler <emu at e-bbes.com> wrote:

>>> "Interactive Unix" was pretty nice back than.
>>> Anybody remembers ESIX? Still have the document wall for that ...
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>

>> Sun had a '386 based system in early 90s-ish called the Road Runner.
>> I never saw it. It ran SunOS 4.x and I think was discontinued by the
>> time Solaris 2.x came along.
>>
>> And, I *do* remember ESIX. We used it for our product at a startup
>> company I worked for. Initially System V R3 based, IIRC, and then
>> eventually SVR4; I think we saw an improvement moving to the
>> BSD fast file system.
>
> Does anyone have documentation or history for European efforts in the Unix-like operating systems? For example there was Bull’s Chorus which I seem to recall was based on Mach or a competing microkernel (it was a very long time ago and I used it for no mare than about two hours..).

I know that it didn’t run Unix but I believe Nixdorf Computer was the large computer company at that time.

https://www.computerhistory.org/revolution/memory-storage/8/264/1115

https://www.hnf.de/en/permanent-exhibition/exhibition-areas/nixdorf-pioneer-of-decentralized-data-processing/the-products-of-nixdorf-computer-ag.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nixdorf_Computer

> I am rather saddened by the fact that there is so much about all the Unix (and not only Unix) history of computing in the USA and so very little in Europe. I wouldn’t even know where to start, to be honest, all I have as a history is the Italian side from my father and his other mad friends and colleagues in Milan. So little of it is recorded, never mind written down.

Maybe here.

http://www.technikum29.de/en/

Let me know what you find out regarding the Nixdorf 820. I happen to have my friends dad’s old one…

Keep Digging,

Ben