[TUHS] Old 386 Unix Versions, was: Re: PCC for the i386

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Thu Jul 18 00:34:51 AEST 2019

On Wed, Jul 17, 2019 at 5:28 AM Arrigo Triulzi <arrigo at alchemistowl.org>
wrote:

> Does anyone have documentation or history for European efforts in the
> Unix-like operating systems?

Yes, I talk about it in my paper in the digital release of volume *CNAM
Historical Booklets* including your respective texts.

http://technique-societe.cnam.fr/la-recherche-sur-les-systemes-des-pivots-dans-l-histoire-de-l-informatique-ii-ii-988170.kjsp?RH=cdhte

Note the web site is in French, and all the papers are A4 format, some are
French some are in English (like mine own).   [Send me email off line if
you want a copy of the paper and don't want try to get the whole thing].

> For example there was Bull’s Chorus which I seem to recall was based on
> Mach or a competing microkernel (it was a very long time ago and I used it
> for no mare than about two hours..).

Close, not quite.  Contemporaries but not the same.

Chorus was a C++ rewrite of Gien's Pascal based 'SOL' systems [Gien M.
(1983). “The SOL Operating System”, USENIX Association, 1983, Proceedings
of the Summer ‘83 USENIX Conference, Toronto, Canada, July, 1983, Pages
75-78.]

> I am rather saddened by the fact that there is so much about all the Unix
> (and not only Unix) history of computing in the USA and so very little in
> Europe.

Fair, although not completely true.  USENIX and it's European sisters did a
number of conferences back in the day.  If we missed, other than Australia,
we probably did less in Asia that we could have.   The truth was that the
European's wanted to be published in the ACM or USENIX pubs (just like most
American's and Brits wanted to publish in the Swiss and German journals for
Physics and Chemistry in the 30s and 40s).

But I think a lot of us in the community, certainly were aware of the lot
of cool things happening 'across the pond.'    Please don't sell yourself
and your non-North American sisters and brothers so short.

> I wouldn’t even know where to start, to be honest, all I have as a history
> is the Italian side from my father and his other mad friends and colleagues
> in Milan. So little of it is recorded, never mind written down.

That's a shame to hear.  I hope we can find more of it.