[TUHS] Montgomery's emacs

Brad Spencer brad at anduin.eldar.org
Wed Jun 12 03:28:03 AEST 2019

Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> writes:

> I thought much of the exptools went into something whos name was like the
> AT&T Unix Toolkit Library (that Summit maintained).   It was subscription
> oriented (you paid per tool, but had an unlimited license for it).  This
> was how Korn Shell for $2K and a few other things made it out of Bell - I
> think that eventually, ditroff was moved there instead of being a separate
> distribution. I've now forgotten many of the details - there was a
> build/make replacement IIRC that was there also, many of the Jerq tools and
> games like GBACA and some others were in there.  Thinking about it much of
> the support for Jerq (68000) and Teletype version (BLIT/We32000) may have
> been in the Toolkit library.

nmake ??  I think it may have been called.  I touched something that
matches what is being called "exptools" and the like when I was at 6200
Broad St.  We used nmake and ksh extensively in the software project I
was a part of, and I know I had access to the source for an ancient
version of nmake at one point.  And I remember the subscription thing
too and I seem to recall you had to pay per architecture at least by the
time I was exposed to it.  I got the ancient nmake version compiled on
HP-UX 10.x to get part of the product I was a part of building on HP-UX
10.x.  The official HP-UX 10.x version from the subscription service was
expensive, as I remember things.

There was at least one person in the group who used a version of emacs
that was from the same, or related, source.  I never used it, as I
preferred GNU emacs.

--
Brad Spencer - brad at anduin.eldar.org - KC8VKS - http://anduin.eldar.org