[TUHS] a possible source for 4.1BSD tapes

Mike Haertel tuhs at ducky.net
Tue Mar 12 03:28:23 AEST 2019

I contacted Kirk.  He was surprised to learn that the copy of 4.1 in
his CSRG archive is not, in fact, 4.1.

Also he says that the contents of the existing CSRG archive disks
are all he has; apparently the dumps of old distribution tapes to
disk were hastily done on the way out the door as CSRG was being
shut down.

He suggested I inquire with TUHS for a copy, so evidently he does not
read this list.  His other suggestion was to reconstruct from SCCS files.

I think at this point the preservation community has essentially all
the bits from tape 1 of the 7/10/81 release (in somewhat scattered
form needing to be reassembled into a usable distribution tape image).

The contents of tape 2 seem to be altogether lost (unless someone is
able to recover it from surviving media).