[TUHS] Bell Labs data center in 1969/70.

Peter Jeremy peter at rulingia.com
Wed Mar 13 18:41:08 AEST 2019

On 2019-Mar-13 12:37:47 +1100, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:
>On Tue, 12 Mar 2019, Clem Cole wrote:
>> the bugs build.  FWIW:  I can not tell which model 360 it is.  I think
>> its a 65 or 67.  It's not a 91 nor a 40 or 50.
>And no, it doesn't look like a /50 console to me.

Well, the model number should be visible in
http://www.larryluckham.com/1969%20&%2070%20-%20Bell%20Labs/album/slides/Bell_Labs__0003.html
but it's too blurred for me to make it out (even knowing that the first
2 digits are "20", I can't make them out).

I've looked through both the IBM history pages and the WP pages and I'm
reasonably confident it's a /50.  Compare the above photo with
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/39/IBM_system_360-50_console_-_MfK_Bern.jpg/450px-IBM_system_360-50_console_-_MfK_Bern.jpg
or https://www.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/mainframe/mainframe_2423PH2050.html

It's definitely not a /65 based on the leftmost subpanel - see
https://www.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/mainframe/mainframe_2423PH2065C.html
The only /67 photos I can find show a similarly blank subpanel.

The other S360 models all had radically different front panels (much lower
on the low-end models and much wider on the high-end models).

--
Peter Jeremy