[TUHS] Quotas - did anyone ever use them?

Diomidis Spinellis dds at aueb.gr
Fri May 31 00:23:48 AEST 2019

As a university student in the 1980s we had a cluster of Sun 3/50s using
a Gould computer as a file server over NFS.  The system administrators
had quotas enabled (5MB per student) to prevent students gobbling up
disk space.

Here's an email I received when I used more disk space than what was
allowed.

> From: Tim [...] <[...]@doc.ic.ac.uk>
> Date: Tue, 13 Feb 90 10:54:18 GMT
> To: zmact61 at doc.ic.ac.uk
> Subject: quota
>
> D Spinellis
>
> I see you have taken advantage of a small admin. oversight when
> no quotas were set for your class.
>
> On Friday 16th I shall be setting your disk quota to 5Mb, and your
> inode quota to 500.   Please take appropriate action.
>
> Disk quotas for (no account) (uid 1461):
> Filesystem     usage  quota  limit    timeleft  files  quota  limit    timeleft
> /home/gould/teach
>                18545  20000  21000               1602   1700   1750
> /home/gould/staff
>                    0    200    250                  0     40     50

Diomidis