[TUHS] Recovered /etc/passwd files

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Wed Oct 9 06:52:24 AEST 2019

On Tue, 8 Oct 2019, Norman Wilson wrote:

> I don't remember whether anyone ever stole it by uucp, though I think
> Bill Cheswick used it to set up the phony system environment for Berferd
> to play in (Google for `cheswick berferd' if you don't know the story).

And an excellent story: if you haven't read it then read it; if you have
read it then read it again.  I'm sure that I have the book somewhere.

Semi-spoiler: the protagonist used to sleep next to his terminal (leaving
his girlfriend alone) until the perp tried to log in, upon which alarms
went off and he was finally able to trace the call.

Or am I confusing it with "The Cuckoo's Egg" by Clifford Stoll?

-- Dave