[TUHS] Recovered /etc/passwd files

Michael Kjörling michael at kjorling.se
Wed Oct 9 07:15:22 AEST 2019

On 9 Oct 2019 07:52 +1100, from dave at horsfall.org (Dave Horsfall):
> Semi-spoiler: the protagonist used to sleep next to his terminal (leaving
> his girlfriend alone) until the perp tried to log in, upon which alarms went
> off and he was finally able to trace the call.
>
> Or am I confusing it with "The Cuckoo's Egg" by Clifford Stoll?

You might be. At least, what you describe definitely bears a close
resemblance to events recounted in Stoll's book. Of course, that by
itself doesn't mean something similar can't have been done by or
happened to others. When all you've got is a hammer...

Michael Kjörling • https://michael.kjorling.semichael at kjorling.se
  “The most dangerous thought that you can have as a creative person
              is to think you know what you’re doing.” (Bret Victor)