[TUHS] Recovered /etc/passwd files

Rob Pike robpike at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 05:59:43 AEST 2019

I coulda told you that. One tends to learn passwords (inadvertently) when
they're short and typed nearby often enough. (Sorry, ken.)

If I remember right, the first half of this password was on a t-shirt
commemorating Belle's first half-move, although its notation may have been
different.

Interesting though it is, though, I find this hacking distasteful. It was
distasteful back when, and it still is. The attitudes around hackery have
changed; the position nowadays seems to be that the bad guys are doing it
so the good guys should be rewarded for doing it first. That's disingenuous
at best, and dangerous at worst.

-rob