[TUHS] What was your "Aha, Unix!" moment?

Brian L. Stuart blstuart at bellsouth.net
Fri Oct 11 09:23:32 AEST 2019

 On Thursday, October 10, 2019, 4:55:58 PM EDT, Warren Toomey <wkt at tuhs.org> wrote:
> So I'll kick off another thread. What was your "ahah" moment when you
> first saw that Unix was special, especially compared to the systems you'd
> previously used?

For me, it was reading the source code on 6th Ed.
Seeing the elegance, simplicity, and beauty was
like seeing the Mona Lisa for the first time or
hearing Beethoven's 9th for the first time.

To this day, I still remember looking through some
of the userland code and saw that who figured out
if you use it in "who am i" just by looking at argc.
Using as "who are you" or "who really cares" was
fun, but the real effect was realizing how much
more I'd understand by reading code than by reading
documentation.

BLS