[TUHS] What was your "Aha, Unix!" moment?

George Michaelson ggm at algebras.org
Fri Oct 11 09:28:09 AEST 2019

Wanting to print something and reaching for Tops-10 PIP.. to realize I
didn't need to do that. Irrational concepts did not carry across

Logging in by name but having my uid:gid map naturally to the Tops-10
[xxxx,yyy] form. -Rational concepts carried across

Learn. "omg. Is that all there is? really? is it that simple? you mean
the file permissions flags ARE BITS IN A WORD"

RUNOF -> nroff.

The pascal and fortran experience was a bit of a backwards step. But
makefiles were logical, and once I stopped writing in fortran, things
got remarkably better.

csh in many ways. I know that's heresy for a lot of people, but some
things were just subtly easier in csh. I didn't write csh scripts.

-G