[TUHS] Simple Unix install? (was: What was your "Aha, Unix!" moment?)

Pat Barron patbarron at acm.org
Wed Oct 16 13:50:39 AEST 2019

Possibly the most time consuming install I did was installing Xenix on a
bunch of Intel i310 systems.  Xenix was a "secondary" OS for these
systems, the main OS being iRMX.  Xenix for these systems was distributed
on 5.25" floppies.  Lots and lots of floppies...  They came in a 3-ring
binder, many pages of floppies...  We also had a couple of i380 systems,
Xenix for those came on 8" floppies...  That was time consuming, but it
was just manual labor.

The most unpleasasnt install I can recall was AIX 2.2.1 on the IBM-PC/RT.
Which also was really (under the covers) Interactive UNIX, with some other
stuff mixed in.  Not only was this also time-consuming with a binder full
of 5.25" floppies, but my recollection is that there were too many
opportunities to make a tiny little mistake during the install and have to
start all over again.

--Pat.