[TUHS] Simple Unix install? (was: What was your "Aha, Unix!" moment?)

Matt Rudge mrudge at ubuntu.com
Wed Oct 16 18:20:29 AEST 2019

On Tue, 15 Oct 2019 at 10:55, Arrigo Triulzi <arrigo at alchemistowl.org>
wrote:

> On 15 Oct 2019, at 06:27, Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog at lemis.com> wrote:
> > Clearly you weren't installing Interactive UNIX/386 from floppy, like
> > my first experience.  It was like pulling teeth.
>
> Not to mention Xenix/286… the never ending 5”1/4 “HD” floppies… the ones
which somehow were almost readable but not quite… then you started the
install again and a different floppy failed.

I can remember having to reinstall Xenix on a Wang PC-002. The floppy disks
had been kept in a folder next to a radiator, and I had to clean the floppy
drive with compressed air before we could start. Surprisingly the reinstall
went smoothly, but very slowly! The real issue was getting the serial
terminal board working again!

Matt