[TUHS] IBM Unix source licenses [was Re: PWB vs Unix/TS

Charles H Sauer sauer at technologists.com
Thu Sep 12 02:55:00 AEST 2019

On 9/11/2019 10:36 AM, Clem Cole wrote:
> OSF would eventually use the IBM SVR3 license as its base [which
> makes me believe IBM must have had a V7 redistribution license too.
> Somebody like Charlie Saurer might know].  Anyway, IBM, DEC and HP all
> shipped OSF 'licensed' systems although only DEC would switch to an
> OSF/1 based kernel.

"Sauer"

idk. As far as I know, IBM Austin did not get source licenses until
System V. Before Clay Cipione became the AIX development manager in the
AFWS -> RT transition, Austin did not have source licenses, as far as I
know. Clay insisted that we have source.

It is plausible that Don Rozenberg had V7 license at Yorktown and/or
ACIS had V7 license for BSD stuff.

I'm blind copying Clay and another AIX alumnus that might know for sure.

Charlie
voice: +1.512.784.7526       e-mail: sauer at technologists.com
fax: +1.512.346.5240         Web: https://technologists.com/sauer/
Facebook/Google/Skype/Twitter: CharlesHSauer