[TUHS] IBM Unix source licenses [was Re: PWB vs Unix/TS

Kevin Bowling kevin.bowling at kev009.com
Fri Sep 13 05:31:13 AEST 2019

Charlie, there is some interesting history of the pre-RS/6000 AIX
stuff here (you give a quote :)).  Particularly page 41 gives a
chronology of UNIX at IBM:
https://amaus.net/static/S100/IBM/RTPC/AIX%20Family%20Definition%201989.pdf

Prior to AIX the Series/1 had a UNIX port in the early '80s.  I think
that work happened in Boca Raton.

There are some bizarre anecdotes from Craig Newmark on the above
https://craigconnects.org/2014/12/29/knowing-when-to-keep-your-mouth-shut/.
The S/1 was a PDP competitor (or at least very squarely in the PLC,
interfacing and real time worlds) and IBM was driving much more
successful product lines, especially the PC, and later AT and RT, that
were better suited for competing in the UNIX space.

I don't remember where I read this, but I recently came across someone
claiming that AT&T tried to sell UNIX to IBM outright in the early
1980s.  I'm guessing '81-'82 because the '83 divestment opened up the
direct commercialization by AT&T as System III/V.

Regards,
Kevin