[TUHS] earliest Unix roff

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Mon Sep 16 05:27:10 AEST 2019

Warren,

On Fri, Sep 13, 2019 at 10:44 PM Warren Toomey <wkt at tuhs.org> wrote:

> Here's a good page on the history:
> https://manpages.bsd.lv/history.html

Excellent - thanks for the pointer.   This shows nroff before troff.
 FWIW: I guess I was miss informed, but I had been under the impression
that was the other way around.  i.e. nroff was done to be compliant with
the new troff, replacing roff, although the suggestion here is that he
wrote it add macros to roff.  I'll note that either way, the dates are all
possible of course because the U/L case ASR 37 was introduced 1968 so by
the early 1970's they would have been around the labs.