[TUHS] earliest Unix roff

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Tue Sep 17 03:24:22 AEST 2019

On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 07:19:05PM +0200, KatolaZ wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 09:45:02AM -0700, Larry McVoy wrote:
>
> [cut]
>

> > Those who defend the choice of info over man just aren't real Unix
> > people.  And that's fine, Unix isn't the only choice, they can go
> > run some other OS and be happy.  But it's just rude to thrust info
> > into a Unix system.  And lame because they could have parsed man
> > pages into info docs and then they are adopting the Unix way of
> > doing things and actually adding value.
>
> Sorry, but I totally don't see the point here.

Jon put it well, the point is people expect to be able to say

	man foo

and have that work.  Until GNU came along, that's the way it was.
GNU pushed a different system into the mix.

The secondary point is they could have *added* to Unix by making a
man2info command, I know they could have because I've done something
similar, parsing man or -ms pages is trivial.

GNU choose not to do that and I can't begin to express how wrong
that was.  GNU is not Unix for sure.