[TUHS] First book on Unix for general readership

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Mon Apr 6 10:17:39 AEST 2020

On Sun, 5 Apr 2020, Ronald Natalie wrote:

> The Lions book wasn’t really published back in the day.  It was only
> targetted at his students in Australia (though copies leaked out).

Leaked out?  Apparently it's the most photocopied book in the world!  I
had the originals but sadly lost them in a house move (along with all
issues of AUUGN).

> The manuals aren’t really a book (and again, they weren’t really
> published as a book) and most of the prose on UNIX was more in the form
> of articles than an entire book.

I still reckon that the manpage format is perfect at what it does: telling
you what you need to know right away without going through various menu
levels (and that's not a dig at "info" but just an observation in
general).

-- Dave