[TUHS] First book on Unix for general readership

Greg A. Woods woods at robohack.ca
Thu Apr 9 08:23:09 AEST 2020

At Mon, 6 Apr 2020 10:51:05 -0400, ron at ronnatalie.com wrote:
Subject: Re: [TUHS] First book on Unix for general readership

> > I tried an ngram search on google, and came up with the following:
> >
> > Richard L. Gauthier. October 1981. Using the Unix System, Reston
> > Publishing
> > Co.  ISBN 978-0835981644.
> >

> Gosh, I'd forgotten about Gauthier, perhaps the worst UNIX book ever written.

I was going to mention this book as one I thought might be the first
book on Unix for a truly general readership.  I bought a copy in 1982.

Not a very good book indeed.  Horribly typeset.  Content reminds me of
many of the early poor-quality O'Reilly books.

But it was available in 1981, a few years before K&P's almost infinitely
greater "TUPE" (though TUPE is targeted far more to programmers than
general users).

--
					Greg A. Woods <gwoods at acm.org>

Kelowna, BC     +1 250 762-7675           RoboHack <woods at robohack.ca>