[TUHS] v7, adb, and fcreat

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Fri Aug 7 02:55:19 AEST 2020

    > From: Will Senn

    > I don't think adb was in v6, where the fcreat function and buf struct
    > are used... Were Maranzano and Bourne using some kind of hybrid 6+ system?

In addition to the point about skew between the released and internal development,
it's worth remembering just how long it was between the V6 and V7 releases, and
how much ground was covered technically during that period.

A lot of that stuff leaked out: we've talked about the upgraded 'Typesetter C'
(and compilers), which a lot of people had, and the V6+ system at MIT
(partially sort of PWB1) had both 'adb' and the stdio library. The latter also
made its way to lots of places; in my 'improved V6 page':

  http://www.chiappa.net/~jnc/tech/ImprovingV6.html

it talks about finding the standard I/O stuff in several later V6 repositories,
including a UNSW tape. But it and typsetter C, also on the Shoppa pack, were
clearly quite widespread.

	Noel