[TUHS] Unix tools to aid in the production of Internet RFCs?

Dan Cross crossd at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 07:24:12 AEST 2020

Honestly, I'm not quite sure if this is a TUHS, COFF, or IH question. But
since my background with respect to such things is largely Unix centric, I
thought I'd ask in that context, hence asking on TUHS.

I assume some of the regulars on this list have authored RFCs (of the IETF
etc variety). The RFC format seems fairly well fixed: table of contents,
fixed number of lines per page, page numbers and dates in the footer, and
so forth. The format is sufficiently complex that it seems like some
tooling could be usefully employed to aid in producing these documents.

So I'm curious: what tools did people use to produce those documents?
Perhaps `nroff` with custom macros or something?

        - Dan C.