[TUHS] Quick video: what's the oldest BSD distro

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Sat Aug 29 06:37:44 AEST 2020

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 8:18 PM Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:

>  If you zoom in too much, it becomes hard to make an unambiguous break
> because the code pased from hand to hand so much with overlapping groups of
> people...

And that's the real issue with any of these.   At one point does one stop
and another start.  The people were pretty free and we all moved around.
 I do tend to think of FreeBSD and NetBSD and the follow on too much of
CSRG and frankly, while they are different, they were more similar than
different (FreeBSD focused on x86 originally and NetBSD was a little less
polished in those days but worked on more HW).

At some point, you are picking nits and it really becomes more opinion/what
you value than anything else.

I also think some of BSD (people & IP) leached into Research and vice versa.