[TUHS] [COFF] Also, a video service

jason-tuhs at shalott.net jason-tuhs at shalott.net
Mon Feb 10 16:09:47 AEST 2020

>> All, I've also set this up to try out for the video chats:
>> https://meet.tuhs.org/COFF
>> Password to join is "unix" at the moment.

> Just tried it out.  On FreeBSD I get a blank grey screen.  I could
> only get something more on a Microsoft box, not quite what I'd want to
> do.  Is there some trick?

* Install /usr/ports/net-im/jitsi.  (Comment out the BROKEN line from the
Makefile and "make install" should work as usual; the source can actually
be fetched just fine...)

* kldload cuse

* Run firefox and surf to that URL.

After doing this, I surfed to that URL and was connected, with the video
from my webcam displaying in the browser.

     hashbrown/home/jason-124575: uname -a
     FreeBSD hashbrown 12.1-STABLE FreeBSD 12.1-STABLE r357056 JKERN12  amd64

For what it's worth, the webcam identifies itself as vendor:product
0x046d:0x0825, which, according to https://wiki.freebsd.org/WebcamCompat
is a Logitech C270 HD.  I think I paid about $20 USD for it, five or so
years ago.  The quality is quite sufficient for video conferencing, and it
works with webcamd, vlc, and all the other software that I typically run
on my FreeBSD desktop.  As always, YMMV...

  -Jason