[TUHS] V9 shell [was Re: Warner's Early Unix Presentation]

arnold at skeeve.com arnold at skeeve.com
Tue Feb 11 19:40:40 AEST 2020

Doug McIlroy <doug at cs.dartmouth.edu> wrote:

> > What i like is the autocorrect feature in v8:
> >
> > $ cd /usr/blot
> > /usr/blit
> > $ pwd
> > /usr/blit
>
> Here I am, editor of the v8 manual and unaware of the feature.
> We now know that silent correction is a terrible idea.

But this isn't *silent* correction.  The shell tells you where
it's putting you when it does this, same as in a 'cd' that
happens via $CDPATH.

Admittedly, you have to be paying attention, but Unix has always
demanded that of its users.

Note that I am not arguing with the idea that silent correction
is bad; I'm merely pointing out that this is not an instance of that.

Thanks,

Arnold