[TUHS] V9 shell [was Re: Warner's Early Unix Presentation]

Chet Ramey chet.ramey at case.edu
Wed Feb 12 01:06:48 AEST 2020

On 2/11/20 4:40 AM, arnold at skeeve.com wrote:
> Doug McIlroy <doug at cs.dartmouth.edu> wrote:
>
>>> What i like is the autocorrect feature in v8:
>>>
>>> $ cd /usr/blot
>>> /usr/blit
>>> $ pwd
>>> /usr/blit
>>
>> Here I am, editor of the v8 manual and unaware of the feature.
>> We now know that silent correction is a terrible idea.
>
> But this isn't *silent* correction.  The shell tells you where
> it's putting you when it does this, same as in a 'cd' that
> happens via $CDPATH.
>
> Admittedly, you have to be paying attention, but Unix has always
> demanded that of its users.

The one change I might consider is to disable this feature if the shell
is executing a command list, so something like

	cd /usr/bon && rm -f sh*

doesn't do something unexpected before a user has a chance to react.
Does the v9 shell do that?

Chet

Chet Ramey, UTech, CWRU    chet at case.edu    http://tiswww.cwru.edu/~chet/