[TUHS] man Macro Package and pdfmark

Theodore Y. Ts'o tytso at mit.edu
Wed Feb 19 02:40:31 AEST 2020

On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 10:43:06AM -0500, Steve Nickolas wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Feb 2020, arnold at skeeve.com wrote:
>
> > I don't like your use of "open source"; it is way out of skew with
> > how it's used today.
>
> Wasn't it always *intended* to mean the same thing as "Free Software" ?

No, although the differences in practice are small.  "Free Software"
was defined by Stallman as meeting his "Four Freedoms".  Open
Source(tm) was derived from the Debian Free Software Guidelines, and
while the set of licenses which meet the "Free Software" definition
and those that meet the "Open Source(tm) definition mostly identical,
there are a few exceptions.

I refer folks to the Wikipedia entry for more details:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Free_Software_Definition

It is true that the most of the people who use Open Source instead of
Free Software are doing so mostly for branding reasons (e.g., Open
Source is considered less likely to scare the suits), but technically
they aren't the same.  And it is certainly true that way AT&T
distributed ditroff certainly isn't compliant with the Open Source
Definition (OSD).

Whether or not it meets Clem's "open source" (small o, small s),
depends on his definition, which appears to be, "functionally, since
everyone back then had an AT&T source license, we're all good".

						- Ted