[TUHS] Bitsavers' RT/PC, AIX, AOS, etc. recent additions

Chris Hanson cmhanson at eschatologist.net
Thu Feb 20 11:17:32 AEST 2020

On Feb 17, 2020, at 8:53 PM, Kevin Bowling <kevin.bowling at kev009.com> wrote:

> Can you clarify what is Mach in this archive if I have a gap in my knowledge? I didn’t know the VRM had any direct relationship to Mach

It didn’t, but CMU used Mach on the RT, including in public clusters[1].

CMU also deployed MacMach on the Macintosh II in public clusters, which ran System 6 side-by-side with BSD 4.3.

  -- Chris

[1] A “public [computer] cluster” was CMU terminology for computer labs accessible to the entire CMU community instead of just being accessible to one department or program.