[TUHS] man Macro Package and pdfmark

Bakul Shah bakul at bitblocks.com
Fri Feb 21 06:10:00 AEST 2020

On Thu, 20 Feb 2020 09:48:58 -0800 Rich Morin <rdm at cfcl.com> wrote:
> FWIW, I've been enjoying Elixir a lot for the past few years.  It's an
> Actor-based, dynamically typed, FP language that runs on the Erlang VM.
> It has Rubyish syntax, pattern matching, syntactic macros, lightweight
> processes, a message-passing framework, supervision trees, and other
> cool stuff.

I haven't gotten around to playing with Elixir yet....

Nit: I thought Erlang designers weren't aware of Hewitt's
Actor model before they designed the language; it just
happened to map to the Actor model very well.

> I will note, however, that Elixir programming tends to be rather
> different from the stuff I've been doing for the past 50 years.  For
> example, processing pipelines tend to replace sets of nested loops...

No Stinking Loops! I am familiar with that from the
perspective of array programming languages. Arrays and streams
have quite a bit in common. [At times I have wanted a more
powerful APL like shell, where things like wc, grep, sort,
group, join etc. are builtins.]