[TUHS] What happened with XENIX? (was Re: Unix/World Magazines)

Matt Rudge mrudge at ubuntu.com
Wed Jan 8 22:40:27 AEST 2020

On Wed, 8 Jan 2020 at 07:48, Thomas Paulsen <thomas.paulsen at firemail.de> wrote:

> >Hell, Linux didn't exist at all till '91.
> >I think Xenix was more just a casualty of the Unix Wars.  The victors there
> >were SunOS/Solaris, AIX, and HP-UX.  There were a bunch more walking
> >wounded that never really achieved much market share.
> 'In the mid-to-late 1980s, XENIX was the most common UNIX variant, measured according to the number of machines on which it was installed.'
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenix

I do remember supporting a small Xenix userbase in the mid-90's in
southeast Ireland. Mostly in law offices, surprisingly. They were very
resilient, usually running on a Wang PC-02 with greenscreen terminals
(Wyse, I think). Although they worked fine for their intended purpose
(word processing etc.), the allure of Windows was their demise.