[TUHS] What happened with XENIX? (was Re: Unix/World Magazines)

Heinz Lycklama heinz at osta.com
Thu Jan 9 02:56:33 AEST 2020

On 1/7/2020 11:46 PM, Thomas Paulsen wrote:
>> Hell, Linux didn't exist at all till '91.
>> I think Xenix was more just a casualty of the Unix Wars.  The victors there
>> were SunOS/Solaris, AIX, and HP-UX.  There were a bunch more walking
>> wounded that never really achieved much market share.
> 'In the mid-to-late 1980s, XENIX was the most common UNIX variant, measured according to the number of machines on which it was installed.'
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenix
Two other major vendors competing with Xenix were:
     1. _*INTERACTIVE Systems Corp. (ISC)*_
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interactive_Systems_Corporation> [founded
in 1977] with PC/IX, and later IS/3, etc.
     2. _*Santa Cruz Operation (SCO)*_
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Cruz_Operation> [founded in 1979]
with SCO UNIX, etc.
There were also a number of smaller players in this space.